Thursday, December 02, 2010

Ribbon of Highways; Endless Driving Days

Day One.  8:00am.  Starting out heading west from Chicago.

After 1 hour:  An old farmhouse west of the Chicago suburbs.

After 2 hours:  Western Illinois.

After 3 hours:  NPR and books on tape.

After 4 hours:  Iowa.

After 5 hours:  Lt. Organic Farm, serving fresh meals just off I-80.

After 6 hours:  More Iowa.

After 7 hours:  Iowa Wind Farms.

Just getting into Omaha.  End of Day One.

Day Two:  Heading West again!

After 1 hour:  Nebraska.

After 2 hours:  Nebraska.

After 3 hours:  Kearney Nebraska.

After 4 hours:  I'd eat meat from this farm.

After 5 hours:  Or this one.

After 6 hours, clouds seem exciting.

After 7 hours:  Getting into Colorado.

After 8 hours:  zzzzz

After 9 hours:  Colorado.

After 10 hours:  Rocky Mountains / Pikes Peak / Colorado Springs

7 comments:

Bethanie said...

I love this post! Did you stop and eat at that organic farm? It seems wonderful. I want to see it. Maybe when Steve and I drive to Iowa, we could stop there. :)

chelsea said...

Very cool post!

Pronghorn Antelope Hunting Trips | Garage Door Repair Frisco

timeinabottle said...

That drive across Iowa and Nebraska can suck the life right out of your. You made it seem amusing.

Aubrey said...

Bethanie - I have eaten at that organic farm. Late November isn't the time to get an abundance of fresh produce in Iowa though. The rest of the trip, every hour, I would just pull over, stand up through my sunroof and take a picture of whatever I saw. I imagine your trip will look much the same!

Aubrey said...

Chelsea - thanks! I'm a little confused by the antelope hunting website though.

TimeInABottle - thank you. It sounds like you've done that drive before!

Megora said...

If you're sleeping at Hour 8 on Day 2, I would like to know where so I can get off the road.

new outlook said...

More communication tools in Outlook 2010 help you stay in touch and organized. Connect with others, manage your calendar, and stay on top of your to-dos with download Outlook 2010.