Friday, June 15, 2007

Raw Foods Meal

I mentioned a couple of blogs ago that I attended a raw foods cooking class with my friend Sara in Vail. Well, the class was definitely worth it because last night I made my first raw foods meal!

Zucchini Pesto Pasta:

2 cups basil leaves (stems removed), tightly packed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp sea salt 6 zucchini, peeled
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil 1 tomato, seeded and diced
¼ cup raw pine nuts ½ cup Pine Nut Parmesan (optional)

To make the pesto, place the basil, olive oil, garlic, and salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until the basil is chopped. Add the pine nuts and process until smooth. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Pesto will keep for five days.

To make the pasta, use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini down to the core of seeds on all sides, forming long strips. Do not continue peeling once you reach the core of seeds. Cut the zucchini strips into 1-inch pieces. Toss the zucchini with enough pesto to coat. Place a small pile of zucchini on serving plate. Top with the diced tomato and Pine Nut Parmesan, if desired.


Well. I don’t have a food processor, so here is what my pasta looked like:




Plus, I don’t have a dehydrator, nor did I have the energy or time to make pine nut parmesan, so I used REAL parmesan. Sue me.

And the pesto goes quite nicely with a martini:




And a side of grilled meatloaf:




Hehehe. GO RAW FOODS!

In other news: The prestigious UN Heritage List is voting this month on 5 globally important natural and cultural wonders of the world; Aids say that Bill and Hillary Clinton have sold their blind trust stocks to avoid any problems for Mrs Clinton's presidency bid; Nicole Richie is pregnant; and Switzerland opens the world's longest rail tunnel on land - the 34km Loetschberg tunnel under the Alps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! You win!

I also tried the zucchini "pasta," but took the super easy route and just plopped some Whole Food marinara sauce on top. It's a light alternative to real pasta for summer.