Monday, November 06, 2006

My 10 year High School Reunion

Saturday, November 11th is my 10 year high school reunion. And I am going.

The only reason I am going is because my husband was the school MASCOT and all his friends are going. They still keep in touch every week and when they get together, they BEHAVE like high schoolers.

I however, did not belong to a specific group of friends. I had friends from many separate groups and liked it that way. Our class was one of almost 500 students. I didn't care about any of them in high school.... I doubt I will even remember them this weekend! Thankfully I will be staying with a friend who is sure to have her high school yearbook so I can study. (I keep in touch regularly with four people from high school which includes my husband. I guess that isn’t so bad).

Besides spending four hours in a bar surrounded by people I don't know or care to know, I get to wear a nametag that has a picture of me on it from high school! I looked like a homeschooler in high school. So, I'm thrilled.

At the best, my reunion could turn out to be a very nice night out with my husband's friends. I might reconnect with people I once knew and have forgotten about and find old friendships rekindled. (I should bring some business cards).

And what I expect of the reunion is to find myself exhausted at the end of the evening. Smelling like smoke, a little dehydrated. And with a smile as wide as a kick-ball field twitching on my face and threatening to dissolve into an interminably vague stare.

However, the next day, before getting onto a plane back to the dregs of cultured civilization, my husband and I are going to have a surprise birthday dinner for my Dad. He will be receiving from me a gift card to Borders (there is nothing he loves better than to browse the long and tantalizing shelves of a bookstore….. I get that from him), and a copy of The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. [more on this book soon]

This post sounds a bit discouraging, but this weekend will be better than most, I assure you. I will be back in my beloved Chicago and will get to see people I sometimes miss quite dreadfully.

No comments: